Re: Newbie Question: Trying to Start SQLPlus, Error

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 18 Aug 2002 20:37:17 -0700

In article <vwY79.66195$2p2.3198699_at_bin4.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>, "Patrick says...

>I have found my SID and am getting all my env variables set at login. I am
>running SQL*Plus Release: 9.2.0.1.0 on RH7.3.
>
>Ok, now I am getting the error message below:
>
>---
>ERROR:
>ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
>ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
>Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory
>---
>
>I have researched the first error message (ORA-01034) which says that my SID
>needs to be set, which it is, so it is curious as to why this is showing up.
>The second error message I am not sure if it is showing up because of the
>first error message or not. Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Patrick

Yup. Your database is down. Connect as SYSDBA and issue the STARTUP command.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Sun Aug 18 2002 - 22:37:17 CDT