was: toad vs pl/sql developer

From: Marc Blum <marc_at_marcblum.de>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 14:43:30 +0200

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 11:41:51 +0200, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>"Marc Blum" <marc_at_marcblum.de> wrote in message
>>
>> I strongly recommend PL/SQL-Developer by Allround Automations (
>> http://www.allroundautomations.nl ). It's much more a development tool
>than an
>> administrative aid. I don't like the developers to administer the
>databases or
>> foodle around in the structure of the tables. Tools like SQL/Navigator and
>TOAD
>> are much too powerful/featureful!
>>
>> It's quiet cheap. We are using it for 4 years and are really happy with
>it.
>>
>> But everything we deliver is strongly SQL+ centered, because installation
>and
>> upgrade of everything has to be automated. I really like the customer's
>DBA only
>> to execute a batch, no foodling around!
>>

>> Marc Blum
>> mailto:marc_at_marcblum.de
>> http://www.marcblum.de
>

>A such eminent display of trust in 'customers DBAs'
>My experience is quite to the contrary. Most developing firms *force* the
>DBA to fool around, simply because many developing firms don't know a thing
>about Oracle.
>
>Regards

Hi Sybrand,

I'm very sorry for these developing firms you mention. Be assured, I know what I'm doing with Oracle.

In my experience (products and individual projects), only 5% of the firms running Oracle databases have any clue about that beast. Mostly some overwhelmed system administrator is responsible for networking, email servers, database servers, file servers, backups etc etc. Therefore installation and upgrade has to be well documented, with step-by-step instruction and as automated as possible to prevent ANY missunderstandings, callbacks etc

Conclusion: on both sides there are people knowing what they're doing and also people-needing-some-help-and-patience.

Marc Blum
mailto:marc_at_marcblum.de
http://www.marcblum.de Received on Sun Aug 18 2002 - 07:43:30 CDT