Re: Solaris 9 thread enhancement?

From: James Carlson <james.d.carlson_at_sun.com>
Date: 17 Aug 2002 15:31:26 -0400

alainrtv_at_yahoo.com (Alan) writes:
> does anyone know of a supposed enhancement to Solaris (released in
> 2.9) which changes how threads are implemented?

Yes. In Solaris 9, the old two-level threads implementation was replaced by what was previously called the "alternate libthread" implementation in Solaris 8. The interfaces are the same, but the implementations are quite different.

> I heard at a user group that this enhancement speeds up Oracle
> performance.
>
> I also heard that the enhancement may be implemented on 2.8 by
> swapping out a .so file in /usr/lib with another.

Just change the library search path.

http://docs.sun.com/db?q=alternate+libthread&p=/doc/806-5257/6je9h033l&a=view

Search around for the term "alternate libthread" in various places (docs.sun.com, google.com, et cetera) for more information.

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking         <james.d.carlson_at_east.sun.com>
SUN Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.234W   Vox +1 781 442 2084