RAID on Hitachi 9900 w/Oracle?

From: <derman_at_optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 15:46:47 GMT

Can anyone please comment on the use of RAID in an Oracle OLTP database configuration, specifically with storage on a Hitachi 9900 serious storage system? The Hitachi and Sun people that I have spoken with so far would have me believe that I can put my entire Oracle database on a Hitachi 9900 using all RAID-5 -- because the RAID-5 on this box is so fast and has so much cache, etc., etc...

Anyway, I'm not convinced that any of the people I've spoken with know a thing about Oracle, and despite the fact that I've asked them over and over for some specific real-world examples of Oracle configurations with the 9900 series... So far, I've seen nothing.

Everything I've seen and heard tells me that RAID-5 should be avoided, for the most part -- and that an entire Oracle database should most definitely NOT be put all on RAID-5. The Hitachi 9900 also supports RAID1+0. I desperately want to hear from anyone who has some real-world experience with this hardware, with Oracle.

Please help!

--Jon Received on Sat Aug 17 2002 - 10:46:47 CDT