Re: Solaris 9 thread enhancement?

From: Rich Teer <rich_at_rite-group.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 05:36:32 GMT

On 16 Aug 2002, Alan wrote:

> does anyone know of a supposed enhancement to Solaris (released in
> 2.9) which changes how threads are implemented?

There is no Solaris 2.9. Assuming you mean Solaris 9, yes, the default threading library has been improved.

> I heard at a user group that this enhancement speeds up Oracle
> performance.

See my comment in my reply to your other post. Find out where your bottleneck is before rushing in to change things. Get yourself a copy of Solaris Performance Tuning by Adrian Cockcroft and Rich Petit, and read it from cover to cover. Get a copy of Brian Wong's Configuration and Capacity Planning for Solaris Servers.

> I also heard that the enhancement may be implemented on 2.8 by
> swapping out a .so file in /usr/lib with another.

Yes, I think you can apply some patch or something that'll improve the Solaris 8 threads, but I can't recall the specifics.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.