Re: How to configure TNSNAMES.ORA to look at multiple IP Addresses for one service

From: Syltrem <syltremzulu_at_videotron.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:52:33 -0400

I have this configuration (your 1st example), as a "backup" solution if our primary server goes down. But it never does. Should it go down I would restart the db on the secondary server which sees the same disks and thus can startup the database (OpenVMS cluster). I have the listener running at all times on both servers. Only the primary server`s listener ever receives connect requests.

  1. the timeout is very long trying to connect to the primary server when it`s down. After about 90 seconds it effectiveley connects to the secondary server.
  2. If the 1st address is "alive" even though Oracle is not starting on it, it will not try the 2nd address and report that the service does not respond (i.e. it can talk to the machine but there is no one listening on that port)

HTH

--

Syltrem
http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site - en français)

3d5d3fe8.2801999_at_news-server.kc.rr.com...