Re: new Oracle license scheme

From: Dave Meador <davemeador_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 15 Aug 2002 21:09:26 -0700

TurkBear <jgreco1_at_mn.rr.com> wrote in message news:<ipcilu4n8boa7g99vii9f80tqhnvguov1o_at_4ax.com>...
> Some folks know the price of everything and the value of nothing, to paraphrase some writer whose name I forget.
> 40000 for a server license is not a lot for what you get..
> Power-unit pricing could cost much more depending on the server .
> By combining instances on a big box the per processor pricing can save you money.
> No one is going to claim Oracle is inexpensive, but for mission-critical, multi-user, transaction-based applications it is
> the 'Gold standard' against which other RDBMSs are compared.
>
> ( I am not now, nor have I ever been, an Oracle employee, just a user/developer/DBA since 1987)
>
> Just my 2c
> ( used to be 1c but I changed pricing methods)
>

> yeht_at_state.gov (Bob Yeh) wrote:
>
> >I just found out that Oracle universal power unit is no longer valid.
> >The new way to license a server is based on # of processors. The list
> >price is like $40000 for the server and $8800 (22%) for the support.
> >If you have an application that you can not identified the users (like
> >a web site on the internet), it is going to cost you $48800 if you use
> >Oracle. Oracle is going to drive more and more potential customers to
> >use other databases instead of Oracle.

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =-----

Thats not too bad considering Microsoft charges 20K / processor for SQL 2000 when you expose your application to the net, and SQL will need more processors for the same level of Oracle/Unix performance. The size of your organization will determine the discounting levels, but we made purchaces from both companies and Oracle was much more discounted then SQL so the actual cost of processor licences was close. SQL is less costly in that you don't pay for support, just per incident if you desire, and the equipment is less. I just not convinced it really scales up.

Regards,
Dave. Received on Thu Aug 15 2002 - 23:09:26 CDT