Re: Commit question in SQL*PLUS

From: <abc_at_iom.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 03:31:45 GMT

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 23:02:51 GMT, Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

>abc_at_iom.com wrote:
>
>> New to Oracle, here.
>>
>> If I enter a batch of commands in SQL*PLUS, I want to have them all
>> execute if the script is ok, or NONE executed if there's an error.
>> Right now it looks like only the non-error lines of the script get
>> executed. I'm looking for All-or-none.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>I tried looking over your shoulder but I just couldn't see well enough
>to be sure what you are doing.
>
>Post the script so that we have some idea what you are refering to.
>
>Daniel Morgan

That's Ok, Dan, I haven't showered in a week since I started learning this stuff. You wouln't WANT be looking over my shoulder at this present moment <g>

Well it's not so important to understand the commands I was typing. It's more the situation that happened to me and how to prevent it.

In SQLPlus, here's the gist of what I did:

ALTER TABLE FOO ADD (NEWCOLUMN VARCHAR(10)); UPDATE FOO SET NEWCOLUMN= OLDCOLUMN;
ALTER TABLE FOO DROP (OLDCOLUMN); Now, If statement #2 fails because of some dumb typo (which it did), I've just lost my data (which I did).

In MSSQL, when you type a series of statements as a batch and run it, if there is a compile error/syntax error in one of the statements, the whole batch fails and doesn't execute. How can I get SQL*Plus to behave that way?

Thanks. Received on Thu Aug 15 2002 - 22:31:45 CDT