Re: How do you address raw devices (ie, logcail partitions) in windows?

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 15 Aug 2002 16:44:35 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<3d5b95a1_at_dnews.tpgi.com.au>...
> Daft question, and I guess you can tell I haven't worked with raw devices
> much in NT/Win2000.
>
> But how do you issue a create tablespace command when you want the
> 'datafile' to be a raw partition (otherwise known as a logical partition)?
>
> I've tried:
>
> create tablespace blah datafile '\\device\harddisk\partition6'...
>
> and it thinks I'm trying to contact the network!
>
> I know you can set up symbolic links, just as in Unix. But what if I don't
> want symbolic links?
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Regards
> HJR
The reason it is looking for network is because you are using double backslashes \\. As far as I know, \\ are used to refer to a symbolic link e.g.
'\\.\<Link Name>'...

I have not used raw partitions for Oracle on NT either but try this instead,

   '\device\harddisk<X>\partition6'...
   Where <X> = Your physical disk drive number.

Make sure your raw partition size is larger then your datafile. Use "1MB size specified = 1024KB of actual size on disk" mapping to get accurate size.

Try Oracle's command line utility setlinks.exe to find out about your link names and raw partitions. C:\> setlinks /d It actually shows you the link name of every physical device on your system...including HardDisks.

Regards
//Rauf Sarwar Received on Thu Aug 15 2002 - 18:44:35 CDT