Re: datawarehouse extraction, snapshots?

From: sg <s4v4g3_at_europe.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 00:29:06 +0200

the groups who designed the datawarehouse didnt design the processes to extract incrementally, yes very sad. That's why I am trying to do it with snapshots

The source system is pretty powerful, 3 node TruCluster Server in Compaq GS320 but it is not giving enough because as I mentioned same data is extracted over and over again everyday plus the billing system itself has many batch processes going everynight too!

And yes I am considering replicating the data from source to datawarehouse and do all transformations there then distribute data to rest of datamarts. I have been doing some research but seems like the basic ETL processes are mostly

sqlplus spool
ftp
sql loader

that is good if we dont have to deal with quite considerable amount of data but since we are not doing anything incrementally everything is slow, in order to do extraction delta we probably have to modify source data tables (like add a column for last DML date) which seems impossible because the billing software provider although they are willing to do it but they probably take 4 ~ 8 months! Then we have to test etc which can take another couple of months!

I am using 8.1.7 so.... transportable tablespace is not an option