Re: Status of Undo Tablespace

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 15 Aug 2002 05:07:03 -0700

In article <3D5B7D88.6C8F16FA_at_bigpond.com>, Richard says...

>Hi Pete,
>
>Welcome back, gee it was quiet without you ...
>
>In my defense (as i wipe the pooh from my face), I did mention that
>there can be active undo segments from another tablespace if a switched
>had recently occurred and prior transactions had not yet complete. It
>depends somewhat on the definition of an 'active' tablespace.
>
>Can I at least get a C- ?

Oh all right. And I get a D- for not reading to the end of your message. I was just so keen on rubiing your nose in it! ;)

Pete

>Cheers
>
>Richard
>
>Pete Sharman wrote:
>>
>> In article <3D5A0D26.CDBE6B96_at_oracle.com>, Richard says...
>> >
>> snip

>> >Correct. Only one undo tablespace can be active at a time per instance.
>> >
>> Seems like Howard's been keeping you honest while I was off tripping aroung
>> North west US with the family, Richard, but I haven't seen this one corrected
>> yet (maybe I just missed it).
>>
>>It is in fact quite possible to have two undo tablespaces active at one time per
>>instance. If you have active transactions in one undo tablespace and switch to
>>a new undo tablespace, new transactions will use the new undo tablespace and the
>> old transactions will complete in the original undo tablespace. They are not
>> swapped to the new undo tablespace. AS a result, temporarily two undo
>> tablespaces are being used. Of course, I'm sure you already knew that but I
>> couldn't resist rubbing your nose in it! :)
>>
>> HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
>>
>> Pete
>>
>> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Thu Aug 15 2002 - 07:07:03 CDT