Re: Setting Up a MySQL Database for a client question

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 05:51:33 GMT

Yes.
I don't; I am a fairly new diver (about 20 dives) and this is not something I would do. The exception being if I was going to see what my bouncy needs where. That means how much weight should I wear under certain conditions. But then I am not really going anywhere and staying pretty much on the surface.

On the other hand, SCUBA can be dangerous if you panic even if you are not solo. For example, (never happened to me) what if you are diving with someone and your buddy accidentally kicks you in the face and your mask falls off. (you are following too closely and he hits you with his flipper). If you panic you could be in big hurt. If you don't panic you just calmly clear your mask (a simple thing). Or if your buddy runs out of air (OOA) and grabs your regulator (the thing in your mouth connected to the tube to get air out of your tank of air.) and you panic or he panics. Now, most people carry 2 regulators (I do) and if your buddy needs air then you give him a regulator to breath from. (and at this point the dive is over and you calmly and safely make your way to the surface - you do not rush to the surface. - rushing means you can get bent even on a non-decompression dive - the only type I do - or you "blow up" the sacs (alveoli) in your lungs.)

Some people are willing to take the chance and dive solo. If I was I would use a pony bottle or a 2 tank double manifold arrangement not a little itty bitty spare air canister. Personally, I am not a loner and even if safety was not an issue I would rather dive with someone else. Some people take pictures and don't want other people scaring the fish away and so they might dive solo.

Jim

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=mailing.da