Re: Status of Undo Tablespace

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 14 Aug 2002 20:25:06 -0700

In article <3D5A0D26.CDBE6B96_at_oracle.com>, Richard says...

snip

>> I thought only one would be active at one time.
>
>Correct. Only one undo tablespace can be active at a time per instance.

Seems like Howard's been keeping you honest while I was off tripping aroung North west US with the family, Richard, but I haven't seen this one corrected yet (maybe I just missed it).

It is in fact quite possible to have two undo tablespaces active at one time per instance. If you have active transactions in one undo tablespace and switch to a new undo tablespace, new transactions will use the new undo tablespace and the old transactions will complete in the original undo tablespace. They are not swapped to the new undo tablespace. AS a result, temporarily two undo tablespaces are being used. Of course, I'm sure you already knew that but I couldn't resist rubbing your nose in it! :)

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Wed Aug 14 2002 - 22:25:06 CDT