Re: Few more Undo Tablespace Queries

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 19:15:45 +1000

"Ora" <ora_geek_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:fa5d6718.0208132139.27281df9_at_posting.google.com...
> Oracle 9i: Rel 2 / Win2k
>
> Can Segment Space Management of an undo Tablespace is only 'Manual'.
> Can it have Automatic Segment Space Management?

AAAAAAArrrrrrrrrghhh! Why would you even *want* it to be ASSM?

ASSM is bad.

ASSM has overheads.

I exaggerate. But only a bit. ASSM is a solution to s specific problem (freelist contention). You won't get freelist contention on a rollback segment, so it is not needed.

But no, it can't be ASSM anyway.

> Can data files of one Undo Tablespace be spread across different disks?

Yes. It's just a tablespace.

> Can another Undo Tablespace of non-default block size be used ?

From memory, yes. SYSTEM and TEMP must be of default block size, but undo doesn't have to be. But again, there is a right size block, and everything else is a wrong size block. Why you would *ever* want to create non-optimally-sized-block undo tablespaces, I haven't the faintest idea.

Regards
HJR