Reserved Column Name Problem

From: <abc_at_iom.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 01:23:28 GMT

This is a tired subject, I know. I know that I'm not supposed to use reserved words, etc., etc, etc. But I'm porting an app over and don't have time to change all my column names.

So here's my question:

In 9i,
Oracle says that you use reserved words as column names but you have to surround them in double-quotes (e.g. "Comment")

And all this works just ducky. In select statements, in insert statements, etc.

However, it does not work with UPDATE statements.

I have a table named Addresses. I have a field named "Comment" (with double quotes).

This works:
SELECT name,address,"Comment" from addresses

This works:
INSERT INTO Addresses (Name,Address,"Comment") VALUES ('Bob','101 main street','This is a comment')

THIS DOES NOT WORK:
Update Addresses SET "Comment" = 'This is a Comment'

Any ideas around this problem? Received on Tue Aug 13 2002 - 20:23:28 CDT