Re: Should I study Oracle 8i/9i or 9i directly/

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:34:06 GMT

In article <3d58c295_at_dnews.tpgi.com.au>, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>don't, not with our current material. You learn things which will completely
>mislead you in 8i (such as 'don't index foreign key columns because they're
>not needed any more' [paraphrasing wildly]). And you don't learn things

I'm 8i-trained, just dipping toes into 9i and haven't had the 9i upgrade course yet.

Is the above true about not indexing foreign keys??? As the original reason behind this was to avoid a table lock on the child table, has this changed in 9i?? If so, I've got some some schema changes to make. Received on Tue Aug 13 2002 - 14:34:06 CDT