Re: slow inserts from Web into Oracle on Unix

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:50:07 +0200

"Ashok Kumar" <avkumar_71_at_hotmail.com> wrote :

> We have a Web App with ASP Scripts, IIS and Oracle Backend.
>
> Inserting data from the web to Oracle on a NT Box gets me approx 8000
> Rows / 60 seconds.
>
> Inserting data from the web to Oracle on a UNIX Box gets me approx 800
> Rows / 60 seconds.
>
> Any pointers to what might be contributing to such a slow response
> from the UNIX box. The Oracle version is 8.06. The Web Server and the
> database are on seperate physical boxes.

Very difficult to say what the problem is. There are several factors here.

Is the network the same from web server to NT box and Unix box? Is the networking on Unix correctly configured (no messed up resolv.conf or the like)?

To make sure, run traceroutes from the web box to both NT and Unix boxes and check the results.

Is Oracle correctly configured on the Unix box? Is Net8 and the listener correctly configured? How about the database itself? Have you looked at V$SESSION_WAITS and V%SESSION_EVENTS to see what is happening in Oracle? Is the data volumes the same? Is the query plan the same?

What about physical platform issues? Maybe the Unix box is hardware wise, much slower than the NT box. What services are running on the Unix box? What is running on the NT box in comparison? How is the disk situation? Maybe the data on the NT box is nicely striped to distribute the i/o load across disk controllers?

How did you arrive at your benchmark results?

My opinion - forget about such a comparison as you are not comparing like with like. Comparisons are .. well useless. Used as part of a penis enlargement exercise. Only of use to those clueless people in marketing and sales with little dicks.

Question. Do you believe you have a performance problem on the Unix platform?

If so - then tackle that. Comparing apples with bananas will not resolve performance problems.

Look at each layer from the front-end to the back-end and make sure that the layer is optimal. Using the latest ODBS drivers. Having ODBC pass-through enabled. Having a correctly configured Oracle Net client. Making sure that the IP stack on the client is correctly configured. Looking at the physical network configuration between client and server (lots of installations are still breaking basic ethernet configuration rules). Looking at the server platform. Operating system. Networking. Oracle. Oracle database configuration and setup. Listener configuration. Etc. Etc.

--
Billy