Re: Use Raw partition or LVM in rac installation?

From: Ronald <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: 13 Aug 2002 02:12:53 -0700

chao_ping <chao_ping_at_163.com> wrote in message news:<1689501.1029166178_at_dbforums.com>...
> hi,
> I am trying to setup a RAC database with two DELL 6650 and a disk array,
> with two eth card each node, one for public network and the other for
> heart beating message and sga data transfer.
> I have two questions:
> 1. For oracle ceritified combinations, there should be 2 gigabytes
> network card and one fiber channel switch , which is used to transfer
> sga data between instances. In my case, i do not have more than 2
> nodes, so i directly interconnect the two nodes with general network
> line, is it ok to let it work with the cache fusion?
>
> 2. I am using redhat advanced server, and i am not familier with this
> product. In my default installation, there is no LVM manager. I read
> several document talking about install RAC on linux, all using LVM
> manager. So, shall i use logical volumn manager, or directly use raw
> partitions?

Using LVM just makes things easier so it does not really matter. If you can manage raw devices use them. If you prefer the comfort of a good lvm get a lvm. Once you decide to use a lvm you can't manage your disks without them (veritas).
Ronald.

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba Received on Tue Aug 13 2002 - 04:12:53 CDT