Re: Main difference: TOAD vs Enterprise Manager

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:18:40 GMT

I use both, free TOAD for when I want to browse a schema for certain database, much faster than OEM for that, although it can be done. DBA studio is ok, and you can jump from database to database a little easier than TOAD as they are displayed in a tree on the left side. DBA studio also lets you remotely startup & shut down the databases, as well as a host of other functions.

TOAD is more of a developers tool though, and I'm not a developer, but I still find it handy to have. There is a host of others out there cheap or free that are good as well. I just installed TORA on this linux workstation and it is very "toad-like" with its interface. Do a gogle search on oracle tools and you'll find plenty.

OEM I find large and clunky, but also very powerfull. I use it to pre schdule jobs like shrinking rollback segments on older databases, checking the status of databases, running out of space warnings etc... and all of this I have e-mailed to my cell phone when an alert condition happens. You can get other tools to do this, but why not use OEM and it comes with the database.

I have also had Quests Spotlight on Oracle recommended to me by a dba from a firm we are purchasing a large database application from. It looks very powerfull and it is more comparable (I think) to OEM than TOAD is

hth Received on Mon Aug 12 2002 - 13:18:40 CDT