Re: Should I study Oracle 8i/9i or 9i directly/

From: Richard Foote <Richard.Foote_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:04:39 +1000

Hi Howard,

I meant learning 9i, not just the 9i only features. I don't think Terry was suggesting just learning new features introduced in 9i but whether he should be 8i "literate" before becoming 9i literate.

If I was to put it into Oracle University/Education terms (which I wasn't, I took the training to be a generic term) this would mean doing the 9i DBA course, the 9i Backup Recovery/Networking course, the 9i Performance Tuning Course then perhaps to fill in the gaps, the 9i NF course. It's somewhat redundant to start learning 8i at this stage if you have a choice. Once you learn 9i, you implicitly learn 8i or the bits in 8i worth learning. Learning 9i means knowing LMT, knowing MVs, etc.

I believe if you are 9i "literate" and you have an 8i database put in front of you, you'll get by (just as someone who knows 8i would survive looking after an Oracle7 database). I don't believe the same would necessarily be the case the other way around and so my suggestion to 'read' the 9i Concepts manual in preference to the 8i and then read through the 9i one as well.

Then again, I could be wrong. Either way, it's get boring agreeing with you all the time, this is more like it ;)

Cheers

Richard