Re: A little help connecting to oracle from java. Anyone? Please!!? :-)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:21:21 +0200

"Simon Harvey" <noThanks_at_pdf.com> wrote in message news:3d563604_7_at_news.teranews.com...
> Another thing that might provide a clue to this is that I can connect
using
> SQL Plus with the name dayton but not the name dayton.homenet. Shouldnt I
be
> able to do both. I'm sitting at the machine which has oracle on it.
> Just as a reminder my tnsnames entry is:
>

> DAYTON =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = aegis)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME = dayton.homenet)
> )
> )
>
> Thanks
> Simon

No.
The service name meant is the tnsnames service_name the syntax for a tns entry is

service_name = ...
Your service name is dayton

Your jdbc connection string is wrong.
The hostnames need to be identical and translate to the same IP-address. Either you use 'aegis' in listener.ora *and* the jdbc connection string *OR* you use 'localhost' in listener.ora *and* the jdbc connection string. A mix is NOT going to work.

As the error now is very obvious, I would recommend anyone with net8 problems to provide as much detail as you can (ie listener.ora, sqlnet.ora, tnsnames.ora) *rightaway on your first post*. With sufficient detail provided initially this would also have been resolved with the first post.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA