Re: Win2K- How to start DB? thru Services or Sql*Plus?

From: José Arango <arango_at_caribe.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 20:01:49 -0400

First, thanks Howard and Sybrand for helping on my two posts. I found your info extremely helpful.

Now...

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> I'm not sure why, it's just the way things are. In effect, you need the
> service to provide the shared memory and thread/process components needed
> to make SQL Plus commands do their thing

This obviously makes sense. Do you have any idea how is this implemented on Unix? I don't remember starting up a process in Unix before doing a sqlplus to startup the database. Maybe that "process" was already started.

I know what an instance is and what opening and mounting a database is but I'm wondering....Is this process (the one that Sqlplus talks to before the database is up) part of the instance? I don't think so...since starting an instance is part of the "startup" command. So then..what is that needs to be run (that thing call 'a service' on Windows) on Unix to use Sqlplus and then start the db?

Thanks!
José Received on Sat Aug 10 2002 - 19:01:49 CDT