Re: Oracle instance does not start automatically

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 06:36:15 +1000

"Edzard" <edzard_at_volcanomail.com> wrote in message news:5d75e934.0208100453.4af905b9_at_posting.google.com...
> Hello Christian,
>
> The Oracle installer creates a group ORA_DBA in the LOCAL NT domain.
> Members of this group should always be able to start the database. So
> add the LOCAL adminstrator account to the ORA_DBA group. Or hardcode
> the Oracle account name and password (for the LOCAL NT domain) in the
> NT Service Startup Properties.

You should add to the ORA_DBA group any user who you wish to be able to perform database administrative actions. That can be a local user, or a domain user.... Oracle works fine with both (though some tweaking is necessary on the client-side if you want to administer the database remotely). So that bit of your advice is a bit lacking, I'm afraid.

As for your second suggestion: don't. There's precisely no need, and the Oracle service has the account name and password it does for a reason: it's designed that way, and it works that way.

Regards
HJR