Re: Composite Primary key or 1 primary key column with all values

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 20:26:07 +0200

On 10 Aug 2002 10:49:55 -0700, matezuka_at_yahoo.com (kopek) wrote:

>I can not understand why in the world you want to create 6 columns in
>a table when one would suffice. A simple select.. from.. where col1=?
>will turn into select..from.. where col1=?, col2=? etc., etc... The
>SQL will take longer to parse. How much better speed-wise a single
>column design is over the 6-columns one, I can not say. The 6-column
>one will not out-perform the single-column one, that I can say.

That single column is a column made up several columns. If he uses your advice he will be forced to use substr's all over the place to get that information out.
Strictly following your advice any table can be made up of one single column, because multiple columns will take longer to parse. This observation is simply completely incorrect and your advice unprofessional.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Aug 10 2002 - 13:26:07 CDT