Will Oracle 9i let me connect using jdbc right "out of the box"

From: Simon Harvey <noThanks_at_pdf.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 10:28:15 +0100

Hi there,

I'm having some problems connecting to oracle from my java program. I have a really simple question that would eliminate a whole line of other questions for me in one go:

I've downloaded oralce 9i from the oracle site. I've installed it as the personal edition. I can get third party software such as toad to connect to it straight away. Should I be able to get my java program to connect without installing anyting else?

Maybe i need to elaborate on that last bit a tiny bit more. The only way I know how to connect to a database is by (I'm using windows) going to the control panel, starting the odbc DSN utility and making a new DSN. I can see that there is definately a driver and I can set up a dsn from there. But it doesnt work.

So, without getting into error messages at runtime and what not - should this in theory, work. I don't need to install anything else?

Many thanks to you all

Simon Received on Sat Aug 10 2002 - 04:28:15 CDT