Re: Oracle 8.0.6.2 MTS configuration..need help?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 11:35:33 +1000

"Dominica Leung" <dominica_l_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:5f8af180.0208091517.56c7052d_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi Sybrand,
>
> Thank you.
> I am very curious about what you think about MTS.
> Since I really VALUE your opinion. (I know you know a lot of in Oracle).
> Basically, my small machine E420 R , 4 CPU,
> 4Gig of memory .
> Has 2000 processes and currently has 970 processes on NON-MTS(dedicated
server)
> , and the unix 's "TOP" has very high load,
> and now my upper management at work, is thinking about going to MTS.
> But today, I was talking to tech support to Oracle about Net8.
> They says MTS is quite slow , I am running oracle 8.0.6.2.

It *needn't* be 'quite slow'. If your box is straining dealing with 900+ dedicated server processes (which it probably is), then MTS should speed things up quite considerably, merely by lightening the process load.

> And then my upper management also was thinking about
> connection manager... to have more connection pools.
> I have NOT read about connection manager yet.

Well, connection manager *requires* MTS (at least, for connection concentration purposes), so it's not an either/or.

> But not sure whether going MTS route will actually help out
> the HEAVY LOAD performance in this machine.

It will help having less processes running. Whether that's good or bad depends on what those processes are currently doing. If they are all involved in huge batch-like operations, forget it. The usual 'rule of thumb' with MTS is that any piece of SQL which takes more than a few seconds' processing (say 3 or 4 seconds) is a candidate for a dedicated server, not a shared one.

> This machine has 532 'select " per second.

Well, you need to determine whether that's a function of the number of people connected at any one moment, or a function of what those people are doing -as I say, batch operations won't benefit. Lots of small operations will.

Regards
HJR