Re: restrict sysdba access

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 09:57:22 +1000

I hate to say 'asked and aswered almost daily', but it is. In fact, this one cropped up just three or so days ago.

You (and everyone else) really *ought* to know about the Google groups search (www.google.com) if you don't already know about it. You'd find answers there quicker on practically every subject under the sun.

Anyway: the cause of your 'problem' is that you have enabled O/S authentication of privileged users. That means whichever user account you are using to log on to the operating system hosting the Oracle database (and you didn't specify whether you are using Unix or Windows, which you should get into the habit of doing with every post you make) has been made a member of a key O/S group.

Membership of that group grants the O/S user full access to the database when the 'as sysdba' privilege is requested, without further challenge (after all, you've proved who you are to the O/S, merely by logging in... so why should Oracle challenge you further?). If you are a member of this group, you could type 'connect jkfhsdjfhk/jhfgiwuhrkjfhksj as sysdba', and you'd still be allowed to connect to the database... what you type as the connect string is entirely and utterly ignored.

The groups concerned are 'dba' if you are on Unix, or ORA_DBA if you're on Windows. (There can also be an ORA_sid_DBA group on Windows).

Remove your user account from one or other of these groups, and Oracle will revert to using password file authentication for privileged users -which means you'll have to supply precisely the correct password before admittance to the database is allowed.

Regards