ORA-01031 on Windows 2000 Server Service Pack 3

From: Marko Kimpel <marko.kimpel_at_gmx.de>
Date: 9 Aug 2002 11:05:26 -0700

I just updated a Windows 2000 Server machine from Service Pack 2 to Service Pack 3.

Then I tried to update the Oracle Database Server from 8.1.7.2.1 to 8.1.7.4.1. While the installation of the files and the execution of catalog.sql and catproc.sql went fine, the 'CONNECT / AS SYSDBA' statement failed.

Please have a look at the following screen dump. Connecting as sysdba from the console just does not work. (I am logged in the as same Windows user who installed the database. I am member of the group ORA_DBA.)

D:\>sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Fri Aug 9 19:49:26 2002

(c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

SQL> connect / as sysdba
ERROR:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

SQL>

Any ideas?

I did exactly the same on another machine, there it worked. The only difference I found is the other machine runs on Windows 2000 Professional and not Windows 2000 Server. But I don't know if Windows is the cause at all.

Marko Received on Fri Aug 09 2002 - 13:05:26 CDT