Re: installation of oracle 9i on redhat 7.3 problems with jr

From: Pootie <pootie_at_london.com>
Date: 8 Aug 2002 06:47:28 -0700

kurt_verstichel_at_hotmail.com (kurt verstichel) wrote in message news:<b03f7bb.0207261244.7fffab28_at_posting.google.com>...
> I'm trying to install Oracle 9i on a PC, having an AMD 1800+ / 256 Mb
> ram, where Redhat 7.3 is installed (I know this is an unsupported
> platform, but I'm almost sure my problem has nothing to do with it)
> processor. I reserved a partition of 8 Gb for Linux. I downloaded 9i
> as 3 CDs from OTN, After unzipping, the CDs are labelled :
>
> lnx_920_disk1.cpio
> lnx_920_disk2.cpio
> lnx_920_disk3.cpio
>

> I extracted the CDs to a directory /tmp/oracle, and I started up
> /tmp/oracle/Disk1/runInstaller as the oracle user. No problems to
> start up the runInstaller,
>
> As File Locations I choose :
> Source : /tmp/oracle/Disk1/stage/products.jar
> Destination :
> Name : OraHome
>
> I'm chosing for a full installation, so I check :
>
> Oracle 9i Database 9.2.0.1.0
>
> As type of installation I choose :
> Enterprise Edition (2.04Gb)
>
> As Database Configuration I choose :
> General purpose
>
> The database identification is :
> Global Database Name : orcl.LinuxHome
> SID : ORCL
>
> The directory for database file is :
> /data/orcl
>
> I'm using the default character set
>
> Then the installation starts, where part1 (installing) passes without
> any problem
>
> But when 84% of pass2 (linking) is done, I receive the message (in the
> log file) :
>
> Calling action unixActions2.2.0.6.0 make
> installMakePath = /usr/bin/make
> installMakeFileName =
> /app/oracle/product/9.0.2/ctx/lib/ins_ctx.mk
> installTarget = install
> undoMakeFileName =
> installArguments = ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/9.0.2,
> logFile = /app/oracle/product/9.0.2/install/make.log
> undoTarget =
>
> Exception thrown from action: make
> Exception Name: MakefileException
> Exception String: Error in invoking target install of makefile
> /app/oracle/product/9.0.2/ctx/lib/ins_ctx.mk
> Exception Severity: 1
>
> I tried a lot of workarounds, and .... but I'm pretty sure it has
> something to do with the place where jre can be found.
> I'm pretty sure it has to do with the handling of the file
> /app/oracle/product/9/0/2/JRE/bin/jre and also with the fact that only
> in one of the directories oracle.swd.jre/bin/i386 and
> oracle.swd.jre/bin/i686 an executable jre can be found, when in the
> opposite directories the shared libs can be found.
>
> When I ignore the error the installer goes on, even wants me to
> execute a script as root, but at the end following installation errors
> are detected.
> Following error window occurs :
>
> One or more tools have failed. It is recommended ...
>
> Afterwards the installation starts the following tools :
>
> Oracle Net Configuration Assistant.
> Oracle Database Configuration Assistant
> Agent Configuration Assistant
> Starting HTTP Server

> [...]

I am having the same problem. I did try a reinstall with RH 7.1, but the results were similar, however the ins_ctx.mk make errors did not happen with RH7.1, only with RH 7.3. I still had to intervene earlier with similar JRE errors toward the beginning of the install. Unfortunately, the results were still the same and the assistants failed. I can only join my voice with yours in seeking a solution to this problem. Received on Thu Aug 08 2002 - 08:47:28 CDT