Seek help on OCI JDBC problem

From: Ming Fai <mingfai_at_hongkong.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 21:37:39 +0800

hi,

I've got seriously trouble in using OCI driver on both Linux and W2k. My DB is on Linux, and the version is Oracle9i Release 9.0.1.0.0. The operation is perfect when using thin driver. For OCI, I've tried all combination of JDK1.3.1_03 and 1.4.0_01 with the OCI driver provides by the Oracle installation and downloaded from technet. Could anybody help to answer the following questions:

  1. When using JDK 1.4.0_01, with ojdbc14.jar and nls_charset12.zip in classpath. I got the following error: java.sql.SQLException: Character Set Not Supported !!: DBConversion

note:
i. nls_lang is set, but it seems it's not relevent NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1; export NLS_LANG

 when query nls_database_parameters, the following are the values:

PARAMETER VALUE

------------------------------ ---------
NLS_LANGUAGE        AMERICAN
NLS_TERRITORY        AMERICA

NLS_CHARACTERSET US7ASCII i've tried to set NLS_LANG to US7ASCII as well. NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII; export NLS_LANG

is it relevent at all?

ii. i tried to put the nls_charset12.zip/jar in the oracle installation and, in the 2nd time, the one in 9.2.0.1 version downloaded from technet.

any idea? does anybody ever use OCI JDBC to connect to 9i successfully?

2. When using JDK 1.3.1_03, with classes12.jar/zip and nls_charset12.zip in classpath. I got an exception with a monster code string java.sql.SQLException: "tÈ ¿Ì È ¿W_at_HüV@ È ¿ìR@ôÈ ¿H]" (the quote is added by me)

it seems to be a character set problem again. any idea?

3. Is there any difference between
jdbc:oracle:oci:@OraDB , and
jdbc:oracle:oci8:@OraDB ?

note: i've tried both, and tnsping to OraDB does work.

Could anybody who has successfully experience in using OCI JDBC driver share his experience?

regards,
mingfai Received on Thu Aug 08 2002 - 08:37:39 CDT