Re: export/import problem

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_nospam.cox.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 02:44:46 GMT

On Mon, 05 Aug 2002 19:44:06 +0200, Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
>On Mon, 05 Aug 2002 10:54:41 +0200, kw <wlasiukk_at_wp.pl> wrote:
>
>>Hi all
>>
>>I must to move data between 2 diffrent oracle boxes. One is in
>>EE8MWSIN1250 character set and the destination in EE8ISO8859P2.
>>Normal data after import are ok (translation between charactersets), but
>>there is one table storing usernames and passwords in varchar2 fileds
>>- but encrypted to string of binary strange characters (eg. not
>>"SSACXCZXCASC" but "mÁ?
>?î7(…h‰+ôOhS?×") import translate some of these
>>characters and data after decryption are corrupted !
>>
>>How to tell imp tool not to do any translation of character sets ?
>>Or how to change the export file to let imp think it was done in other
>>character set then it was ?
>>
>>thanx for help
>>KW
>set NLS_LANG on the target box to the same value as the source box, if
>you did set it on the source box at all. If you didn't you probably
>are toast.

Not necessarily toast, just need to use other tools besides exp/imp for that one table. For example, sqlplus to a flat file then sqlloader.

>One should NEVER EVER even THINK of editing the export. The chance you
>are left with an unreadable file is very high, and Oracle won't
>support you resolving this problem.

True, however on unix envs, you can sometimes use sed and strings and grep to get the data out to a flat file you can deal with. For example, if this table is in the middle of the dump file, you can figure out where the table begins by grepping for the CREATE TABLE and the tablename, and where the next CREATE is, and sed out those lines to another file, then play.

>Regards
>

>Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
>To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

jg

--
These opinions are my own.
http://www.garry.to                                       Oracle and unix guy.