Re: ORA-1650 error

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 10:40:58 +1000

Well, the info. is self-explanatory. Your rollback tablespaces are too small. So make 'em bigger.

The real issue, of course, is why your rollback segments feel the need to extend in the first place, because them doing so is bad for performance, and if they were properly sized to begin with, they wouldn't need to do so.

Somebody somewhere is (a) doing a massive piece of DML or (b) leaving a piece of DML uncommitted (a blocking transaction).

You need to keep your eye on v$transaction to see the size of transactions hitting your rollback segments. Adjust the size of the tablespaces to accomodate what that tells you.

Not everyone will agree, but disk space is cheap, Seagate hard disks are the best, and I find myself tempted these days to just throw an entire hard disk at the rollback issue ('course, I'm using auto-undo in 9i, but the same principles apply). It seems madness to me to stint on rollback tablespace space if it induces these kinds of errors.

Regards