Re: Tnsping does not succeed

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 08:58:53 +1000

"Enkidu" <rcrowley-enkidu_at_learningframework.com> wrote in message news:04Q39.12$eb.12959_at_news2.west.cox.net...
> I know it's confusing sometimes - knowing which file Net8 uses. Being a
> client application, tnsping uses tnsnames.ora (instead of listener.ora).

This is just plain wrong.

TNSPING uses a resolution method to convert an alias to an IP address. *IF* you are using tnsnames, then fair enough, it uses tnsnames.ora. But if you are using Oracle Names, or some other resolution method, then it uses that.

> Client apps use tnsnames.ora;

Client apps use whatever form of names resolution method you ask them to. They don't just use 'tnsnames.ora'. They could use Oracle Names. They could use Host Naming. They could use external authentication mechanisms. *You* are in control over what they use.

>server (listener mostly) uses listener.ora.

What?? The listener only knows which instances to handle requests for because you tell it in the SID_LIST of listener.ora. So yes, the listener process on the server uses listener.ora.

But the listener can also learn what Instances it's supposed to handle requests for because 8i and above instances register themselves with it. And for an instance to be able to identify a listener with which to register, they themselves have to be able to resolve service name aliases. Which means that you set local_listener in the init.ora to something like "T2"... and Lo! We now need a tnsnames.ora file (or some other equivalent names resolution mechanism) to resolve "T2" into an address and port for the listener.

So on the server side, you can perfectly well have a tnsnames.ora, and a sqlnet.ora.

>Of
> course, you can have both client and server on the same host, which is why
> you find both in %ORACLE_HOME%/network/admin.

You find tnsnames.ora on both sides only when both sides are using tnsnames resolution. You find sqlnet.ora on both sides because both the client and server need to know what names resolution method to use. And you can therefore find both on both sides whether or not your client and server are on the same host.

Regards
HJR