Re: Saving images in Oracle 8i

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 08:51:14 +1000

I store photographs in an Oracle database. There are thousands of them, which suggests the use of BLOBS (Oracle is better at internally storing thousands of small objects than your average file system is). If I had just a few hundred, I'd have gone the BFILE route (same reason, but in reverse... file systems are better at looking after fewer large objects than Oracle).

Now for the embarrasing part: I view my photographs through an Access front-end (ie, link tables, create a form based on the linked table, and place a bound object frame on the form).

If I could summon up the energy to learn it, I confidently expect Oracle Forms would allow you to do prec isely the same thing, wothout all the iffiness of an ODBC link to the database.

So yes, it's perfectly possible to do. When you get into serious developing, you can investigate DBMS_LOB, which has all the hooks needed to work with these things.

(Just one word of warning: many image controls -and I speak from bitter experience with Access- used to display BLOBS have an uncanny habit of sending an uncompressed bitstream to the back end. When you think you're saving a 75K JPEG, the front end is actually sending something like a 750K data stream to the database. Fortunately, there are workarounds: for example, www.dbpix.com has an ActiveX control (for Access) that sends the compressed format to the backend. There are other (free) workarounds, too).

Regards