Re: System Crash, how to restore database?

From: Richard Foote <Richard.Foote_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 23:43:01 +1000

Hi Winbatch,

If you have all the previous data files and control files, you can do the following:

  1. Set the Oracle_Sid to the appropriate value.
  2. Create a new parameter file, documenting the database name, control file locations and anything else as appropriate.
  3. You should now be able to mount the database.
  4. You should now be able to open the database with resetlogs.

All things being equal, you should have your database back.

If you also have any redo logs, these could be used to recover the database past the time of your backup, up until the last available redo log (using a cancel based incomplete recovery).

If you have all the online redo logs and there were no changes after your box crashed, you can simply restore all the DB components and open the database after step 2).

Good Luck

Richard

Cheers

Richard