Re: Sorting works incorretly on Client

From: Richard Foote <Richard.Foote_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 10:07:32 +1000

Hi Jakob,

Not entirely sure I understand your question in that Oracle always performs its sorts on the server. However, that aside note the following:

For issue 1. Depending on the settings of NLS_LANGUAGE, Oracle uses a default ordering method. If you wish to change you can set the NLS_SORT to be any linguistic definition supported by the language setting.

For issue 2. Assuming that the sort parameters are the same for both the client and server sessions, then the sorting overhead and times should be the same. Therefore it suggests that perhaps Oracle is a bit slow in transferring the data across to the client. Assuming the network is OK and you're using SQLPLUS, are you sure the array size is sufficiently set ?

Cheers

Richard