Re: Next extent with Locally managed tablespace on 9i

From: Richard Foote <Richard.Foote_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 09:43:18 +1000

Hi Kenneth,

Maybe I wasn't being pedantic.

I resay what I mentioned earlier in this thread (as I foolishly used html which you or others may not be able to view properly). Basically the "way" INITIAL, NEXT, etc. are interpreted is different with LMT.

Just being a little pedantic I know but NEXT is not ignored when you create a segment in a locally managed tablespace. It's used along with INITIAL, PCTINCREASE and MINEXTENTS to calculated the initial size of the segment. This
initial size is then used to determined the extent size(s) with autoallocate or is divided by the uniform size to determined the initial number of extents. This is to ensure existing scripts designed to create segments of an initial size still have the same behavior regardless of the type of tablespace used (strange but true).

Once the segment has been created, NEXT and PCTINCREASE have no further effect. MAXEXTENTS is however
totally ignored (unfortunately).

I'm only guessing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see most if not all these go in 10i.

Cheers

Richard