Re: Next extent with Locally managed tablespace on 9i

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 05 Aug 2002 19:33:16 +0100 (BST)

Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote:
>In article <w6k*l2Qup_at_news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, you said (and I
>quote):
>
>> Some of us are stuck with very large clusters, which can't be partitioned
>> or moved, or just about any other nice table manipulation feature
>> introduced since Oracle 7.
>
>Why stuck with the cluster? Third party app?

Sort of... it is a third party app, but I work for the company which makes it.

There were very good reasons to use a cluster, but these sort of data volumes combined with Oracle's reluctance to implement any new features on clusters look like the balance might now have changed.

>> This cluster can grow to hundreds of GB in some environments. I've tested
>> it in an LMT with very large extents (up to 1GB), and had no obvious
>> problems (beyond those inherent in a single segment of hundreds of GB).
>
>Cripes! You got a big nugget there. Is that SAP?

No, a billing system often used for telephony. I don't have to run it in a real production system, but have to run it with volumes somewhat ahead of anything our customers have in production.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/