Re: convert CL8WIN1251 to UTF8

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 19:50:38 +0200

On Mon, 05 Aug 2002 12:10:04 -0400, Cold Cut <jeffc_at_sympatico.ca> wrote:

>If I remember from my DB Admin exam that the character set of the database
>is set when it's created and can't be changed. This is for version 8i.
>
>Vadim wrote:
>
>> I try to change my database character set from CL8WIN1251 to UTF8.
>>
>> ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET UTF8;
>> *
>> Ora-12712:new character set must be a superset of old character set.
>>
>> Now I have not some data stored in my database. Can I force my
>> database to do this? Or I must create the new database with UTF8
>> charset and make import?

Not true, for 8.0 and higher. You CAN change the characterset provided the new characterset is an exact superset of the old characterset. Apparently UTF8 isn't a superset of CL8WIN1251. In that case the export/import route is the only solution and no 'forcing of the database' is possible.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Aug 05 2002 - 12:50:38 CDT