ORA-12514 Listener can't resolve SERVICE_NAME

From: Cold Cut <jeffc_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 10:23:08 -0400

I am pulling my hair out with an ORA-12514 error on WindowsXP and an Oracle 8.1.6 database/listener. I also have a Linux 8.1.6 database on the network that connects just fine. I have been able to connect to my XP system for a while now and I haven't made any changes. I just used RMAN to backup the linux database in the XP recovery cataglog a few days ago.

I have done a lot of reading and I know that my problem is somewhere in the TNSNAMES.ORA, SQLNET.ORA, and LISTENER.ORA files. I just can't figure out where. When ever I try to connect to XP1 I get the ORA-12514 error. I can connect to LIN1 just fine. I am trying to connect to XP1 from the server PC itself.

Here is the TNSNAMES.ORA file (names changed for security of course);

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: C:\Oracle\Ora81\network\admin\tnsnames.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

XP1 =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = GEORGE)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = XP1)

    )
  )

LIN1 =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = FRED)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = LIN1)

    )
  )

The LISTENER.ORA file;
# LISTENER.ORA Network Configuration File: C:\Oracle\Ora81\NETWORK\ADMIN\listener.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

XPLISTEN =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = george)(PORT = 1521))   )

SID_LIST_XPLISTEN =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = XP1TEST.GEORGE)
(ORACLE_HOME = C:\Oracle\Ora81)
(PROGRAM = extproc)

    )
  )

The SQLNET.ORA file
# SQLNET.ORA Network Configuration File: C:\Oracle\Ora81\network\admin\sqlnet.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE)   NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, ONAMES, HOSTNAME)   It's probably staring me right in the face, I just can't see it. Any help is appreciated. Received on Mon Aug 05 2002 - 09:23:08 CDT