Re: Views for Getting General Stats Out of the DB

From: Richard Foote <Richard.Foote_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 23:44:03 +1000

Hi Simon,

Basically, yes, there are a huge bunch of DD and V$ views you need to look at to answer your questions Check out the Reference Manual (which you can find by either checking out tahiti.oracle.cm or otn.oracle.com). It contains a full list of the DD views and the v$ dynamic performance views which describes all the views you are after.

While you're there, look at the Oracle Supplied PL/SQL packages manual and check out the dbms.logmnr package that allows you to read inside the redo logs. The Concepts and Administration guides also have much useful info on Log Miner.

Good Luck

Richard

Simon Harvey wrote:

Hi,

I'm writting an app for my Final Year project at university that will keep
tabs on an oracle database. It's going to do this by running queries on the
data dictionary at specific intervals.

What I was wondering is what dictionary views display details such as:

a. How many users logged in
b. How much room the entire database is using
c. How much space specific users are using with there schema

and so on and so forth. Is there a view that tells you very general
management statistics like that or are they all distributed all over the
place.

I was also wanting to do some analysis of the logs that oracle keeps. Is
there a way to access these logs? Are they kept as plain text someplace and
where might that be?

Kindest thanks to you all for making this place such an amazing resource. I
don't know to much about oracle but I'm off to try and help some guys in the
java groups.

Take care

Simon