web app gets max processes about every three months

From: Joel Rees <jreesmf_at_mac.com>
Date: 5 Aug 2002 03:39:17 -0700

Wrote a question about this about six weeks back, still looking for answers.

We have a web app, Oracle on a dedicated machine, php and apache on a separate machine, and three times in the past eight months, our php logs tell us that oracle has got maximum processes allocated, and it stays there until the customer resets the Oracle server. Host system on each machine is MSW2k.

Analyzing the logs does reveal the customer testing the site on one occasion, otherwise, there don't seem to be any patterns. See some apparent web-bot activity, some possible cheap tries at breaking in, but no evidence of actual intrusion or DOS attacks. (Maybe. I just remembered mention of one DOS attack that some versions of Oracle are supposedly vulnerable to that I haven't checked against.)

Anyone for whom these sort of symptoms rings a bell, please post me some more clues.

So far, my searching seems to indicate that MSW2k should simply be expected to go south every now and then, and that once in three months is not that often for a re-boot.

(One reply to my previous post:)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=f0d5086.0206261901.372e6725%40posting.google.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26q%3Djoel%2Brees%2Bdatabase%26meta%3D

One post I dug up elsewhere suggested a dedicated swap drive, with swap min=max so that the swap files don't get re-allocated and fragmented.

Would sure appreciate some more suggestions.

Joel Rees Received on Mon Aug 05 2002 - 05:39:17 CDT