Re: loop

From: Karen Abgarian <abvk_at_ureach.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 21:37:01 GMT

> You'll find a lot of people saying that explicity declaring cursors is
> faster than not, ie they will claim that
>
> cursor X is select ...
> open
> fetch
> close
>
> is faster then
>
> select ..
> into variable
> from table
>
> Ask them to prove it...they'll struggle :-)
>
> hth
> connor
> --
> Connor McDonald
>
> http://www.oracledba.co.uk
>
> "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue..."

I think Jonathan Lewis was saying this in his book.

The idea is that for the second one, Oracle has to make sure that the second row is NOT returned from the query, because an TOO_MANY_ROWS exception is also some piece of information that can be returned from the query. The first just does a single fetch, the second does two.

IMO makes a lot of sense Received on Sun Aug 04 2002 - 16:37:01 CDT