Re: problem while installin oracle 817 on linux

From: Ender Wiggin <ender_wiggin29plus1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 02:33:35 -0600

Yeah , it is an age old story but one I could not confirm. I guess the way it works with me is if I start a java application first time, it works then it stops working and I am on slackware 8.1 with 2.4.18 kernel. Acc. to articles, it works if you unset some NLS parameters or some sort of env. variable, but I have ran my own with or without that env. variable. On the other hand it never works from my KDE but works fine from Gnome so who knows what's going on. My suggestion is to download Oracle 9i but then once you install the beast, it is hard to get motivated to install Oracle 9i. One nice thing is I have changed my distros while I kept the Oracle partition and it always worked even after kernel changes and even distro switches "was Mandrake user" so it is pretty stable for my home tinkering. Though they should have put some Oracle docs with the Linux bundle.. that's a big problem...

Jean-Baptiste Broccard wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> My wish is to make an installation of Oracle 817 on Linux Mandrake 8.0. I
> have already downgraded my glibc and installed the good JDK, following
> guides over Internet. So i tried a : runInstaller on the console of the
> linux-box and the Gui appeared whithout any problem.
> Now I connect myself through SSH, that's Ok if I launch an xterm, xclock,
> Netscape but not the famous runInstaller. See my logs :
>
> Initializing Java Virtual Machine from

../stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/linux/bin/jre.
> Please wait...
> SIGSEGV received at bfffee60 in

/usr/src/Disk1/stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/li