Re: Next extent with Locally managed tablespace on 9i

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 01:41:13 +1000

In article
<E2F6A70FE45242488C865C3BC1245DA702741FF4_at_lnewton.leeds.lfs.co.uk>, you said (and I quote):

This is very interesting. Been thinking about it for a while now and haven't yet reached a consensus in my mind. (yes, paranoia is terrible. I rely on consensus)

> I'd probably stick with the following :
>
> 64KB, 1MB, 8MB 64MB and if I needed anything larger I'd have to
> consider how big the object is and needs to be.

Hmmm, what about other considerations? Like:
Should we make these somewhat dependent on things like sort_area_size? What about DFMBR? Should we make these uniform chunks match that size or multiples of it?

> If you choose a 500 extent threshold, you'll have objects up to the
> following sizes in each tablespace :
>
> 64KB : objects up to 32 MB.

I like this one. Makes sense to me. Small wastage if object is small.

> 1 MB : Objects up to 500MB.

Nope, don't like it. Too "nice". I go straight for 10Mb as the next one.

> 8 MB : objects up to 4 Gb (assuming the IT worl'd propesity for using
> 1000 MB as one GB !) or 4000 MB if you like.

No need, with the 10Mb above.

> 64 MB : Objects up to 32,000 MB (32 GB)

Yikes! Nope, no way. Too large. If you have objects THAT large, think partitioning. It's the best way to handle these monsters (with current technology!): divide to conquer.

And so on. Just my $0.02, but the subject is interesting and I'd really like to know other's thoughts on this?

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto