Re: Everyone can log on as sysdba on oracle 8i??????

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 19:54:09 +0200

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 11:07:10 +0100, "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:

>You can change this behaviour by modifying the value of the init.ora
>parameter remote_login_password_file and bouncing the database if you wish.

I don't think this is true, neither for Unix nor for NT. Changing remote_login_passwordfile doesn't disable O/S authentication, it only governs which users have SYSDBA privs. 'internal' *always* has SYSDBA privs and whether you need a password for internal is not determined by remote_login_passwordfile.

On NT you either need to remove the ora_dba local group, or you need to have SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NONE) in sqlnet.ora. On Unix the O/S user should not have the dba group set.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Aug 01 2002 - 12:54:09 CDT