index usage

From: Hegyvari Krisztian <hegyvari_at_ardents.hu>
Date: 1 Aug 2002 06:00:05 -0700

Hello,

I have a table with more than 3 million records, 15 columns. I have an index on the first two columns. When I do a select * from mytable order by col1,col2 the query takes ages to complete. According to the plan, oracle does not use the index but sorts the records after doing a full table scan. I more or less understand why the optimizer chooses this path, but how can I change its decision and force it to use the index. I tried to use the use index hint to no avail.

Please cc the answers to hegyvari_at_ardents.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Hegyvari Krisztian Received on Thu Aug 01 2002 - 08:00:05 CDT