Re: DIRECT=Y with EXP

From: Kenneth Koenraadt <no email>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 09:20:58 GMT

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 20:16:29 +0200, Bruno Jargot <see_at_reply.to.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:29:56 GMT, Kenneth Koenraadt wrote:
>
>>2) A direct mode exp/imp cannot be used for Data/tablespace
>>reorganisation. In worst case, an export file from a badly organised
>>database may cause the import database to *swell up*. Conventional
>>mode export prevents that.
>
>Could you, please, detail this assertion. I don't understand what you
>mean.

Sure,

Assume you have a table in the exp database with 30 rows and 100,000 blocks, this because most of the original 1,000,000 rows have been deleted. That is certainly a waste of space. Importing this table into another database with direct = Y will make the table just as insufficient in the new database, as it imports the blocks directly. A conventional mode exp/imp will just insert the 3 rows. Dot !