hardware sizing question

From: John Smith <linux_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 04:46:37 GMT

Hi All,

thank you in advance.

I don't know about Oracle, unix. Let me try to explain our situation. We have Sun Ultra5 Work Station. This machine has the following configuration:
Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI (UltraSPARC-IIi 270MHz) with 256MB RAM One HD, Seagate Medalist 34342A, 4.3GB, 4500rpm No tape Drive.

We are trying to run a Web Application on this machine. This machine should support the following:
Oracle 8.0.5
Netscape Web Server V 3.61 or 4.1
Tuxedo V6.2
A custom server

Applications are not transaction intensive. Basically upload a file into database through a browser and process it. In the database we have 50 tables with 10 packages. We have 20-30 pro*c programs. We have more than 150 dynamic html pages.

Do you think this machine support 100 users? What are our thoughts? Our new system admin says this is a joke.
How many users this machine support? We have 2 more workstations like this. Clustering is possible (using NFS)?

Thanks again.

Sherob Received on Wed Jul 31 2002 - 23:46:37 CDT