Re: DIRECT=Y with EXP

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:29:56 GMT

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 19:20:34 +1000, "Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote:

>Hi Epicentre team A,
>
>In my little tiny weeny opinion, the default does actually make sense. Why,
>because a conventional import is pretty well guaranteed to work (all things
>being equal) whereas the direct path method may not. You have issues if the
>client side character set doesn't match the server side or in some earlier
>versions if tables contained objects and LOBs and the such (now not so much
>an issue). BUT because there could be issues with it, it does kinda make
>sense to have a default that has a better default chance of working.
>
>Then again, I could be wrong ...)
>
>Richard

Hi all,

I agree with Richard. The only benefit from Direct=Y is in fact SPEED. Major drawbacks are

  1. Potential problems with character set conversion. Imagine that you have a direct mode exp dump file created from database A some time ago and which (maybe!) imported fine into database B at that time. When you suddenly 3 months later import that exp file to a third database C, it will not import and no one remembers why.
  2. A direct mode exp/imp cannot be used for Data/tablespace reorganisation. In worst case, an export file from a badly organised database may cause the import database to *swell up*. Conventional mode export prevents that.

In short : Unless speed is a BIG issue, keep away from direct mode export.